Jump to recipe
This is a must make recipe on a cold winter day. It also makes delicious leftovers to take to school or the office. You can add more veggies if you like. Peppers are a nice addition so are chunks of tomato. I get warm inside just thinking about how comforting this tastes.
- Remove roast from fridge and bring to room temperature. May take 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Heat oil in an oven safe roasting pan the stovetop.
- Rub spice rub all over entire roast.
- Place in hot pan and brown.
- Turn once a brown crust has formed and repeat to brown all sides.
- Add liquid and cover with lid or foil.
- Add thermometer. Place in oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Check with a fork to see if the meat is starting to loosen.
- If the temperature is below 160 or the meat does not pull apart and feels very firm, cover and return to the oven for another 30-60 minutes.
- Once the meat has reached 160-170, it’s time to get rid of any excess fatty liquid and add the rest of the ingredients.
- Carefully spoon off any fat you can easily remove. Place in a safe container to go to the trash - not down your drain.
- Add sauce and all veggies.
- Cook for one hour.
- Remove from oven and test temperature.
- Once 190 is reached, the roast is done. The veggies should be soft.
- Give the veggies and all liquid a stir. At this point there will still be some fat.
- Take a small taste. Does it need salt and pepper? Does it taste greasy? If so add a tiny bit more Big & Tangy sauce and a ½ tsp. of Super Chunk. The acid of the sauce and the salt of the spices will balance out the flavors for you.
- Plate it up and enjoy.