I was looking for a healthy, tropical escape one evening, my eyes fell on a pineapple that had just turned ripe and a light bulb went off and I started up my grille. The fiery spices of Jamaican Jerk contrast perfectly with the sweet acidity of pineapple and elevate this dish to a whole new level. It was a fun challenge to carve this pineapple into a bowl, and even more fun to add the leftover fruit to the stir fry! This dish was an instant transportation to a tropical dream that I highly recommend.
An easy, healthy, and beautifully grilled pineapple makes a perfect bowl for stir fried tofu. The Jamaican Jerk spices with the fire of habanero really light up your tastebuds. Impress your loved ones with this delicious twist on what it means to have a grill out! If you're wondering what to add to stir fry look no further than Jamaican Jerk and a little pineapple.
Feel free to add any additional veggies, sub the tofu for an alternative protein, or remove the egg to make vegan! We encourage you to use even more spice and sauce in this recipe as well!
- 1 ripe pineapple
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup drained and cubed tofu
- 1 cup broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon Firey Jamaican Jerk Spice Rub
- 1 1/2 tablespoon Sticky Sweet Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- Prepare the pineapple by cutting it directly down the middle length-wise. Cut a square along the inner edges to mark your "bowl" and use a large spoon to scoop out the fruit flesh, creating the inside of the bowl. Set aside the fruit flesh to enjoy, and at least 1/4 cup of fruit to cook with.
- On low heat grill the pineapple bowl face or bowl down until grill marks appear then remove from heat and set aside.
- Begin fried rice by frying on medium to high heat your drained and cubed tofu until it begins to crisp and brown on the outside.
- Reduce your heat to low-medium and add your broccoli and carrots.
- Sautee these for 3-4 minutes then add saved pineapple chunks, mushrooms and onions.
- Continue to sautee for a few minutes until all your veggies are soft and just about cooked through.
- Turn heat down to low and add cooked rice to the veggies.
- Sprinkle Firey Jamaican Jerk Spice Rub on everything and stir.
- Crack eggs directly into pan with veggies, periodically and slowly stir as it cooks so that it remains fluffy but cooks through with the veggies and rice.
- Remove from heat once the egg cooks through.
- Scoop fried rice into the grilled pineapple bowls, and drizzle generously with 1 1/2 tablespoon Sticky Sweet Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce