These meatballs can be served warm or left at room temperature safely for 2 hours. The recipe was a suggestion from one of our retailers, Jeanne at Siesel’s Old Fashioned meats in San Diego. The thumb is a finger and as we always say, if you don’t lick your fingers someone else will!
- 1 lb. ground meat (beef, pork, turkey or veal)
- ½ cup cooked brown rice (or dry bread crumbs or crumbed crackers)
- 1 XL egg
- 1 Tbsp. Sauce Goddess spice rub (Latin Heat, Sweet Heat or Moroccan Twist)
- Sauce Goddess pepper relish
- ½” cube of cheese
- half an olive, green or black
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Brush oil on a cookie sheet or use non-stick.
- Combine the meatball mixture in a bowl using your hands to completely mix all the ingredients together.
- Roll into a 1-1 ½” balls.
- Press the center of each gently with your thumb creating a pocket for the filler.
- Fill the pocket with a small amount of pepper relish (or other filling).
- At this point you can close the meatball and not see the filling or leave it open so it looks like a thumbprint cookie.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until meat is cooked. Please on a paper towel to absorb any excess grease.
- Plate and enjoy.