This is much more fun (and sinful) than low cal ranch dipping sauce with raw peppers. It's perfect for meals on the grill or tantalizing appetizer. It takes a bit more time but so worth it!
- 8 whole jalapeno peppers (or mild mini bells)
- 8 strips uncooked bacon, thin
- ¼ cup Sauce Goddess Sticky Sweet or Sweet & Spicy sauce
- 8 x ½ inch pieces of Monterey Jack or other good melting cheese
- 16 toothpicks
- Soak the toothpicks in water so they won’t burn on the grill.
- Half cut lid of pepper by carefully slicing across halfway thru the pepper at the top just below the stem.
- Cut a side slit by carefully slicing down the length of the pepper 2/3 of the way down.
- "Manage the Heat:" Some of the seeds and ribs have to be removed to make room for the cheese but not all of them. If you want it good 'n spicy you can leave some in. If you use the milder mini peppers no seeds need to be removed.
- To remove seeds and rib open the pepper gently by pressing the end toward the stem. Using a small paring knife carefully cut the ribs where they meet the side of the pepper. Use the knife and pull at them. They should come out with slight resistance.
- Now that the pepper has some space, place one slice of cheese inside.
- Wrap uncooked bacon around pepper taking care to place the largest end of the bacon over the top slit and roll the bacon around to the tip then back to the top.
- Use 2 toothpicks to seal the pepper closed and hold the cheese inside while it melts by pushing them completely through in an X configuration.
- Grill over low/medium heat until the bacon is cooked.
- Baste with Sauce Goddess BBQ sauce of choice and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Put a little extra BBQ sauce in a bowl if you want some dipping sauce.