Post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links.
This is traditional English Toffee is a family recipe that has been passed down multiple generations and treasured for years. We love to enjoy it during the holiday season and always make sure our loved one’s stockings include a few pieces. We also love sharing it and teaching others how to make it. The passing on of the recipe is also part of the tradition.
This year, we added some of our Sauce Goddess Habanero Ghost Pepper Powder for an extra blast of heat to compliment the sweetness of the toffee and spiced our chocolate topping with BBQ Sweet Heat. If you want less heat, you can use Cayenne pepper. Prefer no heat at all, don’t add any peppers to the toffee mixture at all. Please sprinkle a bit of Sweet Heat on top. It really makes the flavors sing.
This is a recipe that's been passed down through generations. A perfect holiday treat to serve at holiday parties, stuff stockings, or give your coworkers!
Feel free to leave out the Habanero Ghost Pepper Powder if you or others can't take the heat. Mix and match different chocolates or nuts for the topping!
- 1 cup of butter
- 1/2 teaspoon of Habanero Ghost Pepper Powder
- 1 cup of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla
- 1 cup of chocolate chips
- Sprinkle of BBQ Sweet Heat
- 1 cup of chopped walnuts (or any nut of your choice)
- In a non-stick pot on medium heat, combine the butter, sugar, Habanero Ghost Pepper Powder, and water
- Cook and stir, watch as the sugar dissolves and continue to stir.
- The mixture will begin to thicken and foam, gently raise the heat and continue to stir
- After about 10 minutes, it will begin to thicken and turn golden brown
- Add the vanilla stir quickly to combine and remove from heat
- Immediately pour the mixture onto a non-stick sheet pan and spread evenly
- Distribute chocolate chips evenly on top, allow to melt and use a knife or baking spatula to spread over the toffee.
- Lightly sprinkle BBQ Sweet Heat over the chocolate
- Evenly distribute chopped nuts over the chocolate
- Place tray of toffee into the freezer until completely hardened
- Break off pieces to create "bark" and enjoy!