This post may contain Amazon Affiliate links.
Everyone loves nachos. Nachos are gooey and cheesy, but sometimes you don’t get that goodness on every bite. Then there is the how do you eat healthy while eating nachos. I mean really. The cheese, the guacamole, the beans, the meat, it’s all a lot of food.
So we’re making it a bit lighter this year and turning nachos into a build-your-own-nachos thing. Yep, we’re creating a “thing”.
So we’ve got spicy jalapenos for those who like it hot. We’ve got black olives, cilantro and diced avocados with fresh lime for squeezing on top. We’ve also got some pepper and onions that we sauteed with Latin Heat seasoning, of course. Then there is the base, we’ve got Tots, that’s right the old Tater Spud Puff Tot rears its ugly head and stumbles to the nacho bar. We’ve got tortilla chips because, well it’s not nachos without them. We’re up-ending healthy by actually serving raw veggies for a nacho build-upon. Yes, go ahead and stack up that broccoli and cauliflower and then cover it with a gooey cascading flow of cheesy meaty queso and keep on stacking.
The queso is the star here of course. And our recipe for queso is amazing and, dare we say, more healthful than regular queso.
Give this a try for your next football party. Is easier than making a full platter of nachos for the game.
Nachos are a people pleaser. They fill you up. They make a mess. They taste delicious. What's not to love?
- 1 sweet onion-sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, green, orange)-sliced thin
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp Latin Heat seasoning
- 2 jalapeno pepper-sliced thin
- 1 serrano or habanero pepper-sliced thin
- 2 avocados-diced and sprinkled with lime or lemon juice
- 1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup black olive slices (buy or slice your own)
- 1 bag of tortilla chips
- 1 bag of frozen tots
- 1 head of cauliflower-chopped into bite size pieces with some stem (for a handle)
- 1 bunch or two of broccoli-chopped into bite size pieces with some stem (for a handle)
- 6 cups of Healthier Queso
- In a frying pan, sauté the bell peppers and onions in olive oil.
- Sprinkle with Latin Heat.
- Cook until tender. Set aside in a bowl for serving.
- In a frying pan, sauté the spicy peppers in olive oil until tender.
- Set aside in a bowl for serving.
- Cook the tots according to the package directions.
- Heat the queso slowly so it stays nice and melty.
- Place into a warm bowl for serving.
- Plate the chips. Plate the veggies. Plate the tots.
- Place the chopped cilantro, olives and avocado in their own bowls.
- Place sliced limes into a bowl.
- Get this party started!