Full disclosure. I have had this recipe for a long from Bon Appetite I think. And I have changed it up to make it a little bit more healthful (barely) and of course using one of our spices, Big Tom’s Roasting Rub and Brine Spices. It works magic in this recipe.
The paper towel on top and bottom of the pate may seem weird but it really helps absorb the moisture so the pate has that dense rich flavor and texture when you spread it.
It's rich and full of mushrooms flavor. The Big Tom's rub adds just the perfect amount of Rosemary, thyme and sage to make this a standout appetizer at your next party.
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1/2 cup butter (or coconut oil)
- 2 cups shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 1 cup white button mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced fine
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon Big Tom's Roasting Rub and Brine Spices
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, white wine (or veggie stock)
- optional 2-4 Tbsp breadcrumbs (or parmesean cheese)
- Saute the shallots in olive oil and butter.
- Add all the mushrooms to the pan.
- Add garlic, salt, and Big Tom's rub.
- Cook 15 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the liquid is gone.
- Add wine and continue cooking until all the liquid is gone.
- Cool for 15 minutes.
- Add all to a food processor.
- Add chopped parsley and blend until fairly smooth.
- Stir in nuts.
- Add breadcrumbs or parmesean if the mixture seems to loose (and wet).
- Line a loaf pan or ramekin with plastic wrap long enough to wrap over the top when it's filled.
- Place one piece of paper towel (folded to fit) on the plastic wrap.
- Add mushroom pate.
- Place another piece of paper towel on top and wrap the plastic wrap around.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Unwrap the top to open, Remove paper towel.
- Place a plate on top and carefully hold both the loaf pan and the plate.
- Flip the combination over.
- Remove the loaf pan from the pate.
- Remove the plastic wrap and paper towel.
- Serve with crackers or baggette.