This oven method is super easy to do any time of year. It's perfect for football watch parties or other big gatherings where people are serving themselves.
- 1 pork shoulder
- 1 jar Sweet & Tangy Marinade and Mop Sauce
- 4 Tbsp Sweet Heat Spice Rub
- 6 cups water or beer depending on your preference
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Rub pork shoulder with 3 Tbsp of spice rub. Reserve one Tbsp for seasoning after the roast is "pulled".
- Place in roasting pan then into the oven.
- Flip the roast after 20 minutes and cook the other side for an additional 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 250 and continue cooking for 6 hours.
- Check every hour and add 1/2 cup water or beer to the pan. This helps with cleanup and also provide a nice moist bath for the pork.
- Place thermometer in after 5 hours and make sure it's at least 165 degrees. Ovens can vary and yours may cook hotter or cooler than ours. Total cook time is between 7-9 hours.
- Once it's 170, pour 1/4 jar Sweet & Tangy Sauce over the meat and return to oven.
- Repeat saucing in one hour.
- Keep in oven until roast reaches 190 or can be pierced with a fork really easily.
- Once it is fully cooked, remove from the oven. The roasting pan should be fairly dry, use this for pulling the pork after it's rested.
- It should be saucy and glossy like in our picture.
- Cover tightly with foil and let rest 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, if the roast is bone-in, remove the bone at this time. It should pull out easily.
- Place the pork back into the roasting plan and easily pull the pork into shreds and chunks.
- Sprinkle remaining Sweet Heat spice rub over all. Drizzle remaining 1/2 jar of Sweet & Tangy sauce.
- Toss to combine. Serve and enjoy!