Make your own pastrami by using store bought corned beef and a smoker or oven.
- 2 lb package of corned beef
- lots of water for rinsing
- 2 Tbsp Original Super Chunk
- 2 Tbsp Black Pepper, coarsely ground
- Get your wood chips soaking in water. About 1-2 cups should do it.
- Remove corned beef from package.
- Rinse with water.
- Place in a bowl and cover completely with water.
- Let soak 10 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat with fresh water at least 6 times until all of the salty briny residue is gone.
- Pat the roast dry.
- Combine Super Chunk and black pepper.
- Completely coat the roast.
- Use a water bath in your smoker. (See notes below if you don't have a smoker.)
- Smoke until the meat is 160.
- Wrap in foil and continue smoking until the meat is 180-190.
- Remove from smoker and cool.
- Slice and enjoy.
If you don't have a smoker, this can be done in the oven or on the grill with smoking wood chips soaked in water. Using oven and grill is the best method and least odoriferous. Use half your grill on high and put the wood chips directly on the fire side. Place the meat on the cool side. After 30 minutes of smoking, you can transfer the roast to the oven on a rack above a pan. Cook to temperature as directed above.