This recipe takes store-bought corned beef and turns it into something really incredible.The fennel and thyme in our Super Chunk spice blend really goes well with corned beef.
- 2 lb packaged corned beef
- lots of water for rinsing
- 2 Tbsp Original Super Chunk
- 2 Tbsp black pepper, coarsely ground
- 2 Tbsp light olive oil or canola oil
- 2 lbs potatoes, carrots, onions (or more if you like lots of veggies)
- Remove corned beef from package.
- Rinse with water.
- Place in a bowl and cover completely with water.
- Let soak 10 minutes.
- Rinse and repeat with fresh water at least 6 times until all of the salty briny residue is gone.
- Pat the roast dry.
- Combine Super Chunk and black pepper.
- Completely coat the roast.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375.
- Place oil into a stove top and oven safe pan.
- Heat the oil.
- Once hot add the roast and brown it on all sides.
- Cover the pan with a lid or foil and bake for 2 hours.
- At 2 hours check roast by testing temperature. At this point 160 is good.
- If it's under that, return it to the oven. If it's past, add those veggies, cover and get it back in the oven for another 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes remove cover and continue baking for 20 more minutes. This will lightly brown the veggies.
We use both stove top and oven for this one so choose an oven and stove top safe pan to brown the roast before baking. If you have leftovers they're great for making corned beef hash at breakfast.