This is a long slow basting by dunking process. You can use any Sauce Goddess rub and it’s delicious. It’s also great on the smoker. Feel free to use wine, bourbon or tequila instead of beer. Relax enjoy and have a glass or two of your favorite beverage yourself while everything is cooking.
- 4 lbs of chicken thighs, drumsticks, wings and/or breasts (skin on)
- 2 cups water
- 8-12 oz good quality beer (pick what you like then enjoy the rest)
- 1 stick butter
- 2 Tbsp Sauce Goddess spice rub (each one is delicious in this recipe so pick your flavor)
- Juice of 2 lemons, plus the lemons
- 3 cloves of smashed garlic
- 1 tsp salt
- Place all ingredients (except the chicken) in a pot big enough to easily dunk the chicken pieces.
- Heat up the dunking liquid until butter is melted. Taste for seasoning, add more spice rub or salt if needed. Don't taste it once you start dunking raw chicken, so get the flavor right before you dunk.
- Heat your grill on medium to low with flames on one side, or get your smoker going using the water pan.
- Carefully dunk the chicken pieces into the “drink” and place them on the grill side where there is no flame.
- Close the lid and watch for too much smoke/heat. If it’s cooking too fast open the lid and turn the heat down.
- After 15 minutes, dunk again, flip over to the other side and repeat.
- This dunking process will continue every 15 minutes until the chicken is perfectly cooked and ready to eat. It may take an hour and a half.
- After an hour using the off-heat side of your grill, you may dunk and place over the “live” fire and get a bit more browning.
If you are using a thermometer, go for 160 degrees. If you are doing it by eye, I like to take one piece off (thigh) and gently press it into a cutting board (not cutting it, just applying a small amount of pressure to see if any red juices come out). If it’s clear the chicken is done, if the juices are bloody looking get it back on the grill for a few until the next test piece has clear juices.