A tasty Cajun recipe that will work with any fowl and makes a juicy bird dish. Slice and enjoy with mashed cheesy garlic potatoes.
- 1 8 lb chicken, capon or small turkey (this would be great for duck too)
- 2 lemons
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp BBQ Sweet Heat seasoning
- 2 Tbsp dry thyme
- 1 1/2 Tbsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika (Hungarian hot if you want it spicy)
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350. Use the lowest rack in your oven, so you may want to remove one rack before you heat the oven.
- Mix dry rub together in a small bowl.
- Place 1 tsp of spice blend under the skin of each breast.
- Liberally rub the skin of the entire bird with the butter.
- Rub remaining spice all over the entire bird and sprinkle a bit into the cavity.
- Slice lemons in half.
- Place lemons and smashed garlic into the cavity.
- Place bird on a roasting rack BREAST SIDE DOWN, taking care to make sure the lemons don’t fall out. You may need to orient the opening up more depending on how your bird was butchered.
- Fill the pan with one cup of water (this helps steam the bird a bit and make for easier clean up.
- Bake until a thermometer inserted into the thigh reads 160. Remove from the oven and cover with foil to rest until thermometer reads 165. This resting time helps with the juiciest bird you can have.
Cooking time will be 2 - 2 1/2 hours depending on the size and temperature of the bird at time of prep.